Saturday 22 November 2008

4 - Two days in and how I'm feeling!

Well, I am now just one hour off having my Invisaligns for 48 hours! I know it's only been 2 days but so far I'm doing really well on how long I'm keeping them in for! I'm not going to take them out again now until I have dinner tonight so out of the first 48 hours I've been wearing my Invisaligns for 46 of them! Go me! I'm convinced that the longer I keep them in the more effective they will be so I'm going to be really disciplined with them.

After I first put them in on Thursday afternoon they did feel really weird - it was just so alien having this lump of plastic in my mouth. And even though I knew I didn't have a lisp I was still a bit conscious of it and wondered if people would be able to tell I was wearing them when I spoke. However, my Mum called to see how things had gone and reassured me that I sounded completely normal (well, as normal as I ever do!) I called home later that night to speak to my Dad and get his opinion. I knew if I had even the slightest lisp my Dad would take great pleasure in making fun of me and I think he was actually a little disappointed to find out that I was lisp free!

I took the trays out for 30 mins that night for dinner and had no problem getting them in and out. What I will say is that, judging from my new teeth cleaning routine my teeth will probably be cleaner than they've ever been!

I went to bed that night fully expecting the trays to bother me and keep me awake but the didn't affect my sleep at all and my teeth didn't even feel tender when I took the trays out to clean them the next morning - I'd had it easy so far!

Friday at work would be the real test - I couldn't wait to see people's reactions! Everyone was amazed by how invisible the trays really are. In normal conversation you can't even tell I'm wearing them and people had to look really closely to see them when I explained I had them in! What amazed me though was how dry my mouth was on Friday! I normally drink alot of water during the day anyway but I got through double what I normally drink! It is the strangest feeling because I feel like I'm producing massive amounts of saliva (sorry to be so gross but if anyone is reading this because they are thinking about getting Invisalign - you want to know the facts, right?!) but at the same time my mouth is so dry! I was probably swallowing more than normal because I was conscious of the extra saliva. Generally though, although having the Invisalign in was mildly annoying because I was getting used to them they did not hurt or make my teeth feel tender at all.

And now, on Saturday afternoon, the dry mouth seems to have gone and I'm really getting used to having the trays in. I'm no longer conscious of where my tongue is and they are feeling less and less obvious! I'm expecting it to get harder along the way though - it can't be this easy can it?!

I'm off out with a friend tonight to see another friend's band play so I'll see how I get on... I'll be on the sparkling water because I want to keep my trays in as much as possible!!

I'll probably not post again now until I pick up my second set of trays - unless something major happens!

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I hope it works for you. You were far from being Bugs Bunny without it.

Unknown said...

Good luck! I'm just two months into treatment and amazed how fast it is going! I'm not going to lie, looking forward to being done! I am just glad to finally be noticing some genuine improvement!!

Emma said...

Thanks guys!

I know what you mean! I'm examinig my teeth every morning to see if I can see even the slightest movement! But since I'm only a week in I think that's a bit too hopeful!!